Sunday School ... 10 am
Sunday Worship ... 11 am
803-739-0051 | 803-920-7027 | Email
We are located at:
4650 Reservoir Road
Winnsboro, SC 29180
Who We Are
Scripture is the inerrant and infallible revelation from God to mankind through His appointed prophets and apostles.
The Uniqueness of Jesus Christ
Jesus Christ is the Son of God who was born of the virgin Mary, lived a sinless life, died as a substitutionary sacrifice for the sins of man, was buried; He rose again on the third day, ascended into heaven, and will come again to gather His disciples from all over the globe, and render just judgment upon the wicked.
God's Love is Incarnated in Christ
God so loved the world that He gave His entirely unique Son so that all who believe in Him would not face eternal death, but would enjoy eternal life.
For more information about what we believe, click on the link to the Westminster Confession of Faith. For more information about the PCA, click on the link to the PCA's Book of Church Order.
Union Memorial Presbyterian Church has been called “The granite Church that pine trees built.” This beautiful granite church, with its white columns and steeple, dominate the scenery eight miles southwest of Winnsboro, South Carolina.
The community was called Union because Methodist, Baptist and Presbyterians had joined together and built a small frame building for common use. A committee of five men were elected to set apart the time for each denomination to hold their meetings.
On April 4, 1889, a commission of ministers and elders was approved to visit Union Church and to organize a Presbyterian Church. On June 3, 1889, this commission met and Rev. Garris gave his account of his ministry in the community. The commission was unanimously in favor of organizing a Presbyterian Church. Thus Union Presbyterian Church was organized with 21 charter members including two elders and one deacon.
Mr. Leighton Hawes, who died in 1939, his wife having preceded him in death, left his entire estate to Union Presbyterian Church, with the chief purpose in mind of building a lovely new church building for the church and community he loved so dearly. In his will he left money, buildings in Winnsboro, and two tracts of timberland.
Under the pastorate of Rev. Arthur Martin the new church was completed in 1942. The Hawes’ will stipulated that the church be called Union Memorial Presbyterian Church. A bronze plaque hangs in the vestibule of the church as a reminder to all who enter, that this church was made possible through Elder and Mrs. Leighton W. Hawes.
Union Memorial Presbyterian Church has given four sons to the ministry. They are Rev. Mills Lemmon, Rev. Russel Park, Rev. Preston Brown, and Rev. Grover B. Timms, Jr.
This account was recorded on September 10, 1997, and written by Maude F. Timms.